Click on one of the following headings to be directed to the relevant gallery of images:

Ashbury Kingstone Winslow Idstone


Ashbury Vicarage – 1915 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Rear view of Ashbury Vicarage (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Cottage in Church Lane, Ashbury 1920 (left) and in 2008 (Courtesy Gordon Reade & David Hockley)

Idstone Road, Ashbury with College Farm House on right – 1910 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Idstone Road with College Farm House on the left – 1914 (Courtesy PAW)

Idstsone Road, Ashbury with College Farm House on right – 1992 (Courtesy Peggy Burns)

College Farm, Idstone Road, Ashbury in 1991 (left) and 2008 (Courtesy Gordon Reade & David Hockley)

Ivy House, Ashbury – front and rear views about 1940 (Courtesy David Bunce)

Ivy House under refurbishment – 2008 (Courtesy David Hockley)

Berrycroft Farmhouse – 1950 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Rear view of Berrycroft Farm (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Pencil drawing (by Hayes Jones) above and photo below of cottage at the end of the lane at Berrycroft down to Washpool. Note the round oven with slated roof at the side of the cottage (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Jim Tilling re- thatching Merry Madcap cottage (Courtesy Ann Disbury)

Rose Cottage, Chapel Lane – said to be the oldest cottage in Ashbury (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Eastwood Cottage, Chapel Lane (courtesy Ann Disbury)

The Old Forge & Teallach Cottage, Ashbury High Street (courtesy Ray Gigg)

The Old Forge end elevation – 1970 (courtesy Ray Gigg)

Old Forge front elevation – 1970 (courtesy Ray Gigg)

Old forge Ashbury High Street – 1970 (courtesy Ray Gigg)

Ashbury Cottage – 1953 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Jessamen Cottage in 1981 decorated for the wedding of Prince Charles & Lady Diana Spencer. Frank Pill is in the doorway (courtesy Ray Gigg)

Rear of Jessmen Cottage – 1960s (Courtesy Ray Gigg)

Watercress Cottage (formerly Washpool Cottage), Lyde Hollow, Ashbury (Courtesy Ann Disbury)

Watercress Cottage, Ashbury – 1960 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Watercress Beds, Ashbury 1920 (Courtesy P.A.W.) and 1970 (Courtesy David Bunce)

A different view of the cress beds (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Kingstone Winslow

Norval Cottage Kingstone Winslow about 1920 (Courtesy June Wilmers)

Northend Cottage Kingstone Winslow about 1920 (Courtesy June Wilmers)

Kingston Winslow Corner – 1925 (Courtesy PAW)

Kingstone Winslow Farm – 1950 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Part of a beam removed some years ago from Kingstone Farm (Courtesy Ann Disbury)

Drawing of Lower Mill (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Above and below – Restoration of Lower Mill in 1967 (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Spindle inside Lower Mill – seen at 1967 restoration (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Lower Mill – 2008 (courtesy Diane McLaren)

Rear view of Kingstone Winslow Mill – 1950 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Pencil drawing of Upper Mill (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Upper Mill, Kingstone Winslow – about 2000 (Courtesy June Wilmers)

Mill Pond – 1910 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Mill Pond – about 1940 (Courtesy David Bunce)

Upper Mill under reconstruction 1964 (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Plaque dated 1792 photographed during Upper Mill reconstruction in 1964 (courtesy Ann Disbury)


Idstone – 1910 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Idstone Farmhouse – 1950 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Elm Tree Farmhouse, Idstone – 1950 (Courtesy P.A.W.)

Trip the Daisy, Idstone – named after a famous greyhound (courtesy Ann Disbury)

Rectory Farmhouse (courtesy Ann Disbury)

In 1252 John de Button, Rector of Ashbury, exchanged one acre of land “by rectory Court” for an acre elsewhere. In 1340 Sir Peter de Bath had a grant of an oratory, a small room or chapel set-aside for private prayer in his manor of Edwinstone. Although the term Rectory now applies to the modern farm building the “Court” was probably the building now known as “Trip the Daisy” (see previous photo).

Rectory Farm in 1962 (above) and 1996 (below) – (Courtesy Richard Green)

The Forge, High Street, Ashbury – pre 1960 (courtesy Ann Disbury)